Community Prevention Specialist Employment Opportunity
Riverhead Community Awareness Program, Inc. (CAP) has an employment opportunity for a full-time Community Prevention Specialist. CAP is a nationally recognized, award-winning nonprofit serving the economically and ethnically diverse schools and communities that comprise the Riverhead Central School District. We provide substance abuse prevention programs and services across the lifespan with the primary focus on youth. CAP invites candidates of diverse backgrounds to apply, in particular those who are bilingual (Spanish-speaking). We offer a competitive salary and healthcare benefits. Please email a resume and introduction letter to info@RiverheadCAP.org with Community Prevention Specialist in the subject line. If you prefer, you can mail a paper copy of your resume to 518 East Main Street Suite 106, Riverhead NY 11901 or fax to (631) 727-2142.
The ideal Community Prevention Specialist candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in education, social work or related subject. Master’s degree in Social Work, Public Health or related field preferred. (For MSWs, please note this is not a counseling position but can lead to one in the future.) NYS OASAS CPP or CPS credential must be obtained within 2 years of hire for individuals without a Master’s degree. Must have a valid NYS Driver’s License and vehicle. Some travel may be required for meetings and additional training.
- Ability to understand and communicate alcohol and substance abuse prevention strategies to students in grades K-12 and to the community as set forth by the New York State Office of Addiction Services and Supports (OASAS) Prevention Guidelines.
- Volunteer experience with CAP programs preferred. Previous experience with evidence-based prevention programs (i.e., Too Good for Drugs, Life Skills Training, Guiding Good Choices, etc.) is preferred.
- Ability to participate in all phases of the Strategic Prevention Framework (SPF), Action Plan, Environmental Strategies, and Youth Coalition as part of the Riverhead Community Coalition for Safe and Drug-Free Youth as set forth by the Coalition Coordinator.
- Some weeknights in addition to an occasional weekend will be required for which comp time will be earned.
CAP Community Prevention Specialist responsibilities include:
- Coordinating and teaching classroom presentations, parent presentations, and educational and support groups within the Riverhead Central School District.
- Assist with facilitating community coalition efforts, including outreach, assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation, as well as media campaigns.
- Assist with recruiting and training volunteers to teach a monthly alcohol and substance abuse prevention program.
- Work in partnership with CAP prevention staff to help coordinate and facilitate Riverhead Youth Coalition, in accordance with its Action Plan managed by the Coalition Coordinator.
- Participate in marketing, publicity, and fundraising campaigns as needed.
- Keep current of prevention strategies by attending workshops and trainings as requested and by reading the literature supplied by CAP.
- Assist CAP Staff with curriculum development and workshop plans.
- Perform community outreach and education.
- Assist with Peer Leadership Program as needed.
- Attend interagency and committee meetings as requested by Executive Director.
- Assist in tallying and analysis of all evaluation instruments.
- Represent CAP at community and school events.
- Assist with grant applications as requested by the Executive Director.
- (Pending Grant Approval) Serve as the Project Coordinator for Mental Health Awareness Training Grant.
For More Information
For more information, please email info@RiverheadCAP.org.